Sunday, November 16, 2008

Keith Olbermann, Deepak Chopra and Jesus

Watch this Keith Olbermann. It's a very passionate speech. He's not afraid to criticize America, and the direction she should be going in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqxmPjB0WSs


In other notes:

I'm reading a book by Deepak Chopra called "The Third Jesus." The argument is that Jesus the man was misintepreted and that his message has been twisted since his time. Chopra argues that what Jesus called all of us to do would be radical, and most have not followed through except for a handful like Gandhi, MLK, etc. He asked us to love our enemies, which is too abstract for us to understand. Gandhi proclaimed passive resistance and non violence, closer to what I think Christ was saying. Easy to preach this stuff, almost impossible to live by.

I highly recommend this book for almost everyone. My lay minister Tim and I plan to discuss the book tonight at our restaurant we call "The Greek Place." Next time you stop at a book store, glance at the introduction, you may be surprised at how bright Chopra is. The jury is still out to whether he truly respects science though. He would be a GREAT guest on "Point of Inquiry." Will, what do you think of Chopra?

2 comments:

Bill Cooney said...

Deepak Chopra elicits in me a guarded ambivilance. I am at once moved by much of his captivating thoughts about the connection between mind and body, and put off by his idea that a super intelligence binds all living things.

I enjoy his ideas regarding the need to cleanse ourselves of our addiction to war. But his promotion of a non-religious Intelligent Design I see as a sort of fence-sitting - wanting to have it both ways.

Chopra clearly wants very much to reconcile the rift between those of us who are secular and those of us who are decidedly religious, and this is a noble aim. It's just that the way he approaches it, this elusive reconciliation is treated as the "holy grail" of reasoning, and he seems to have annointed himself the supreme "archeologist" of this philosophical dig.

As long as I keep my guard up a little, I can toss out what I don't accept and yet still appreciate that much of his musings have a positive effect on many people.

He's a very interesting person.

Volly said...

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Especially:
As long as I keep my guard up a little, I can toss out what I don't accept and yet still appreciate that much of his musings have a positive effect on many people.