Saturday, September 6, 2008

On the Campaign Trail for Obama



This weekend I will be starting phone calls for the best presidential candidate so far in my lifetime, Barack Obama. My friends are telling me to get ready for negative responses(as I am reaching out to many undecideds out there) and hearing things like "F-you you communist," or "You're a naive liberal," "or Obama is all flashy talk and no action," or "he's promising everything except the kitchen sink and will tax us to kingdom kum." etc. etc. etc.

Like a good salesman, I should be ready for rejection. But, no matter what they say on the phone----this will not distract me from my goal---to get Barack Obama and Joe Biden in the Whitehouse where they belong! Obama is also for the right to bear arms. He is for this right, which is backed by many radical right wingers. Of course there are my friends Mike and Tim who believe in that right too and they are very good quality human beings. I'm just concerned that Barack may be subtly sucked into the vortex of the right on this one. I would hate to see BO speaking at an NRA convention. His life may be in danger there.

I wonder how my neighbors will react. I have on my call list Ralph, who like my late Grandfather Jack, seems to be fairly apolitical(also like my wife) but who is basically a decent human being and a friend to most he meets. How about Leroy, who was a WW2 vet? Is he a McCain man or is there room for some influencing him? Interesting questions to ponder, and it will prove to be an interesting experience.

So wish me luck on this road less traveled, always the most valuable and scenic route.

2 comments:

Bill Cooney said...

Finally, I'm not so disillusioned that I'm going to vote for Ralph Nader again. I'm going to send a few bucks to the Obama camp this week.

I think I'm with you on that "best candidate in a long time" tag. He sure seems like he would command more than a mere modicum of respect from foreign leaders - a far cry from George W. being the laughing stock of the G-8 Summit. It's sickening what he has done to our reputation around the world.

You'll have to post about how your canvassing went. Good luck.

Unknown said...

Yes let's hear how it turns out. I want to volunteer for Barack as well but I'm a little phone shy. Maybe your experiances will push me over the line to make some calls!