Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Calls for Obama Continue


Boy, it is humbling making these calls. I'm continuing my calls for the Democratic Party and for Barack Obama's campaign for president. So far, I've been told "None of your beezwax," "I ain't votin' for no Muslim," or "I don't believe in Democrats," and the famous "click!!"



In someways I feel like a telemarketer, and in some ways a kind educator for the democratic process. My most memorable calls so far have been with an 85 year-old man who is angry with the way nurses are treated by their employers and the long hours they have to work. He told me that nurses are taken advantage of because of their compassion for their fellow man. I also talked with a 27 year old Iraq war veteran who is not convinced Barack is the right choice because he is leery of anti war politicians and is skeptical about how Obama is going to pay for all the social programs he is promising.

I think this experience of making calls for Obama very enlightening. I'm surprised at how many people who are totally set in their opinions and don't want to talk about it. I guess it is kind of taboo also to talk openly about politics in our society. That's too bad, because a lot of good ideas get shut down that way. It is definitely not socially acceptable to talk about politics or religion in public. More highlights from my calls are coming up in a later blog entry.

2 comments:

Volly said...

"I guess it is kind of taboo also to talk openly about politics in our society. That's too bad, because a lot of good ideas get shut down that way. It is definitely not socially acceptable to talk about politics or religion in public."

That was how I was raised, but a lot can change in a few decades. Nowadays it's considered rude NOT to answer nosy questions about who you vote for or what your opinion is. Inevitably, if someone asks you what you think and you decline to answer, they automatically assume that you hold the opposing view from theirs and they go on the attack. I can't tell you how many times I've had to dismiss someone with "Have a nice day." They are so lucky I still have some manners.

Bill Cooney said...

Way to go. What you are doing IS democracy in action - from the trenches.

Volley, you make a good point. The art of publicly discussing politics (and religion) seems to be evolving. Personally, I'm making some headway by trying not to forget to allow some wiggle room in these conversations. Hopefully, when one gives respect, one is more likely to receive it.