Sunday, September 7, 2008

Faith in Music


I have tremendous faith in the positive power of music. Good music many times gets me through a hard day. The man to your left is John Gorka who has a big bariton voice and a kind heart that shows through his magnificent music. Here are some CD's I like and why:



"Pure John Gorka"

(John Gorka)


There are certain songs you hear in life and there are others that live in your song. Many of these songs have lived in my soul and have helped me become a stronger person. "Houses in the Fields" is a very compassionate song about the family farmer and his toils. "Silence" is a nice philosophical piece about the meaning of silence and how that plays in relationships. "I Saw a Stranger" has a very contemplative feel and echoes feelings many people have. "Italian Girls" is a smart and somewhat sarcastic song. It is wistful and darkly comical. Pretty good collection but he could have picked a few more good ones like "Over There" and "Wisdom." How about "Old Futures Gone?" Very talented musician. I have seen him live at the Grand Opera House in Oshkosh. Very good on stage :)




"My Better Self"


(Dar Williams)

This is the Dar William's Masterpiece! Dar explores different musical directions in this CD, and it is SO refreshing. The lyrics are powerful on most songs and the melodies inventive and creative. I like "So Close to My Heart" and "Echos" the best. "I'll miss you till I Meet You" is very poignant. It expresses feelings many of us have about the meaning of our lives and the important relationships that make up the bricks and mortar of our souls. Pink Floyd remake was OK. Anything by Floyd reminds me of all the people in college who did too many drugs and had oversized egos. Her collaboration with Ani DeFranco seems a little odd. The rest of the CD is a total gem. "Empire" is interesting as she veers into the political arena. This also appears like the most talented group of musicians she has ever played with, a marked improvement over earlier CD's. This is a vast improvement over her early works. GREAT JOB! Thanks Dar for proving to me that you are just as good as Richard Shindell and John Gorka.


"Seven Swans"


(Sufjan Stevens)

Different But Very Very Good :) This guy is going to become big someday. I agree with this reviewer: "The songs on "Seven Swans", with a folksy bucholic feeling that runs through most of them, tell of spiritual tales. They tell of love that transcends the body and age. Sufjan can appeal equally to the Christian person as to the one who practices Zen Buddhism. And that is something few songwriters can accomplish. Keep an eye on Sufjan for years to come." I have fun tooling around with "To Be Alone with You" on the guitar, such a simple but infectious melody. "SEVEN SWANS" is not over orchestrated like "Michigan" and "Illinois" seem to be. Good song to OK song ratio is about 85 percent on this one and about 45-50 percent on the the aforementioned CD's. "SEVEN SWANS" is a great way to get introduced to the subtle musical power and overall genius of Sufjan. Sufjan has all his own style and is not afraid to tell us who he is. VERY CREATIVE...HE TRULY FORGES HIS OWN MUSICAL PATH. CANNOT WAIT FOR HIS CD CALLED "WISCONSIN."

"If I Cound Tell You"

(Yanni)

Sublime---A choir of electronically treated voices chanting ethereally over gentle rhythms and Native American flute, followed by the flamenco-tinged minor drama of "The Flame Within." is an impressive way to start this CD, Yanni's best work ever I think. This work is a total triumph, an intense work that exemplifies Yanni's ability to soar musically and spiritually. As a writer of fiction, I love to use his music as background music as I work. It helps my creativity. It's also great music to take along on a walk with a Nano.



"Vuelta"


(Richard Shindell)


New Sound But Better :) It took me about five or six listenings to begin to let the beauty of this CD sink in. This recording, like "Somewhere in Patterson" takes awhile to rub off on you, and when it does you are hooked for good. What an eloquent style and sensitive collection of songs. Best tracks are "Fenario," "Hazel's House" and "Big Muddy." The instrumentation is great. The album also seems to be a bit more political, which is OK, as long as he doesn't hang his hat on politics like Jackson Browne started to do. The only criticism I have, and it is minor, is that Lucy Kapansky should be used more for back up vocals. They have a unique vocal chemistry that cannot be replaced.



"Somewhere Near Paterson"


(Richard Shindell)


"Confessions" and "My Love Will Follow You" are the strongest tracks. There is also the poignant "You Stay Here," about survival and family, and "Transit." Shindell has a knack for crafting haunting and compelling stories and music. This is a very gifted singer/songwriter. "Lately I've been thinking, something has to give....I left the doors ajar, sitting here in this rocking chair waiting for the storm." Powerful. I cannot believe I'm just discovering his music now. I just received this CD and have been playing it over and over in the car, feeling more enriched after each listening experience. I've ordered his live CD "Courier" which I understand is even better! I look forward to seeing him in concert some day soon too. The lyrics are very meaningful and not like the tripe we see in commercial music nowadays. The excellent music enhances the lyrics, taking them to another level. There is almost a blunt honesty in his music that shines through very graciously. As one reviewer said, this is "great music to listen to on a summer night in the car with the windows open." Congrats on an excellent recording Mr. Shindell :) Your music is a true treasure.

2 comments:

Bill Cooney said...

Love your colourful reviews. I'll definitely be looking to sample a few of these artists.

I've always had a soft spot for Yanni. Your description of his latest work as his best yet means it must be really good. I think I'll just go ahead and buy that CD.

I'm off to Napster - Maybe they'll have some samples there.

Questions About Faith, Etc. said...

William, glad you like the reviews. More reviews are coming soon. I hope more people discover the excellent writing on your blog. :)