Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Ryan Discipline What are Your Thoughts??

Ryan taunted Mom by taking her slippers off and throwing them several times. Mom was snoring on the couch and Ryan said that bothered him. He wanted Mom to sign a note that stated that he had watched the presidential debate when in fact he was switching back and forth from the Brewer game. Debbie did not want to do something dishonest, but Ryan tried to coherse her. The more Mom disagreed, the more unpleasant the behavior got from Ryan.

Getting desperate to gain control as a parent, Debbie said that Ryan should not go to the Badger game with Dad. Ryan laughed saying that she would never follow through, claiming that she has threatened things before and had not followed through. I gently suggested to Debbie that she not threaten big stuff until she consults me first. She could call me at work if there is a perceived family crisis. I suggested maybe taking away cellphone privledges would have been OK, but to go for the home run, a move that would be deeply disturbing to all of us without consulting, raises some flags. Debbie then told me I never should have bought Ryan a 35 dollar baseball cap at the Brewer game without consulting her. I told her that that was sort of apples and oranges.

We need to have a family meeting on Saturday. The last one we had, Ryan made fun of. It appears that Ryan does not listen or engage in reason if things are not going his way. We need to all work together better.


To my best friends, What do you guys think?

No comments: