Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Quotes I Found in the Book "This I Believe"

"I believe in the unanswered questions of children. I believe we can stand right at the boundary between known and unknown and gaze into that cavern and be exhilarated rather than frightened."

Alan Lightman

"If you want others to be happy--practice compassion. If you want to be happy---practice compassion."

The Dalai Lama

"I believe in empathy. I believe in the kind of empathy that is created, through imagination and through intimate personal relationships."

Azar Nafisi

"When you are inspired by some great purpose, some extraordinary project, all your thoughts break their bonds, you mind transcends limitations, your consciousness expands in every direction, and you find yourself in a new great wonderful world."

"If we could read the secret history of our enemies, we should in each man's life find sorrow and suffering enough to disarm all hostility."

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

"The greatest gift of life is love."

Leo Buscaglia

"I believe in working to create a world which does not glorify violence or war. I believe that these days, daring to voice your opinions, daring to find out information from a variety of sources, can be an act of courage."

Jody Williams

"I seem to be of two minds--the power of materalist science to explain everything from the behavior of galaxies to that of molecules, atoms and their subatomic components. On the other hand, the reality of subjective sensations, desires and ---may we say---illusions composes the basic substance of our existence, and religion alone, in its many forms attempts to address, organize and placate these. I believe that religions' faith will continue to be an essential part of being human, as it has for me."

John Updike

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious---the knowledge of existence of something unfathomable to us, the manifestation of the most profound reason coupled with the most brilliant beauty."

Albert Einstein

"I am repeatedly struck gby the healing power or connection created by being fully there in the quiet understanding of another. I believe in the power of presence. It is not only something we give to others. It is something that changes me---and always for the better."

Debbie Hall, psychologist

Every man has a religion---has something in heaven or earth which he will give everything else for---something which absorbs him---which may seem useless by others---yet it is his lodestar. It is his master."

Walt Whitman

"I believe in poetry as a way of surviving the emotional chaos, spiritual confusions and traumatic events that come with being alive."

Gregory Orr

3 comments:

runnerfrog said...

Hey. Outstanding, the Jody Williams quote.

About your question, Evolutionary Art is named on my profile because my first and main blog is dedicated to show my work on that. Evoart is one of the contemporary kinds of art derived from the add of computers as a technical aid. It basically covers evolving the art (visuals or audio) through natural selection towards a population of visuals (mostly), until a result (one individual) is pleasing the artist. This normally relies on virtual or real genetic data evolved through interactive genetic algorithms.
Wikipedia has a nice article on evoart:

Wikipedia: Evolutionary Art

Questions About Faith, Etc. said...

I'm intrigued by how a form of art depends so much on science. This is a new kind of "natural selection." Are there evoart shows across the nation?

runnerfrog said...

Excuse the long delay. Karl Sims is a great american artist in Evolutionary Art, although I don't know if he still presents his evolutionary art installations; "Galapagos" was a great one and you only have to search for it to see about it. He's a great theorist I admire.
Karl Sims

You also may like or find this site interesting, by Zbigniew Karkowski