Sunday, May 11, 2008

Music Captures the Soul?

Last night I played the guitar song "I Can Only Imagine" at the church I attend with my wife Debbie. The acoustics were pretty good considering the new church is more like a gymnasium. The song ended up going smoother than I ever thought it would once I started. I received compliments from many of those attending. Wow, maybe I really have a talent I can share. :)

I also ask myself(as I am about 80-percent towards athiesm on the agnostic/athiest continuum) how can I get satisfaction out of singing these songs? I can hear Richard Dawkins whispering, "You're a fake, you really don't believe." I had a nightmare recently in which I was trying to get into the church but the gatekeeper wouldn't let me in, saying "I don't believe you. You don't believe this stuff anyway. I'm not letting you in." No matter what I would say, he wouldn't budge. Very frustrating dream. I think I can justify singing the hymns by breaking things down to their simpliest components. I love to sing and I love good melodies. I think many of these hymns are beauty, therefore making a beautiful noise is a good thing. Like folk singer John Gorka says, "Sing like there's no tomorrow." When hear a beautiful hymn, I stop analyzing it and just play. I should get a bumper sticker saying, "Just Play." Mike you would appreciate this :) Even athiest Richard Dawkins admits on his recent DVD with Hitchens, Harris and Dennett that he is profoundly moved by some religious pieces by JS Bach. How can that be? A staunch athiest being moved by this? All I know is that I feel great when I'm singing songs I'm moved by, and maybe that's all I need to know.

After the performance, I was asked by one of the congregation members to play at his father's funeral. "When is the funeral?" I asked. He said, "My father was just diagnosed with brain cancer and he doesn't have much time left." I was honored by the request and I hope I can work it into my schedule. This is further evidence that my voice and music are a power for good.

It's Mother's Day and I will be taking my wife and son to brunch today. Maybe we'll play a Bach cantata on the way. I hoipe you all have great Mothers Days. Take time to say thanks to mothers for all the good they do in the world!

1 comment:

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I've bookmarked yours, and I'll be back! You're right! We share MANY favorite musicians in common, and Barack Obama too!