Sunday, October 26, 2008

Mike's Story Teaches Us a Lesson

My friend Mike from West Virginia says that one of the basis's of his faith is to always be reminded that anyone important to us can be gone at any time. He says it is always important to hold the ones important to you close to your heart because you never know when the time will come when it is the last time you talk to them. It's at that point that you would pay substantial amounts of money just to have a few minutes more with them to say the things we need to say. Unfortunately, it's not our choice when those times arrive, making life that much more bittersweet. The lession: Say the things you want to say now before it is too late. So this post is dedicated to Mike, who loves his sister Randi with all of his heart. Randi passed away over the weekend at the age of 40 leaving a beautiful 2 year-old girl behind. What possible rationale could have God had to make this happen? A troubling question indeed.
Instead of eating himself up with anger, my friend Mike has chosen to remember all the good times with his sister, all the guitar songs they would sing together, all the smiles they have shared. Whe he looks into his niece's eyes, he sees a lot of Randi. He is in that state of mourning right now that is close to denial but soon there will be acceptance that she has passed on from this world. Mike's Christian faith helps him accept this somehow. I hope that I am as strong as Mike when something like this confronts me. Mike I wish you the most love and hope that is possible in this situation. Hang in there.
Here is Mike's note to me which came into my e-mail inbox late last night:
My 40 year old Sister died today from complications from a serious intestinal disorder.
She has been to 5 hospitals and 10 ER visits in less than the past 30 days.
She had surgery about 5 years ago, and was scheduled-after an ER visit to Johns Hopkins for a procedure, then to be followed by another surgery. That was scheduled for Nov. 4th-procedure. None of the other hospitals could do anything but prescribe pain medications.
Her body could stand no more of the pain.
She could not eat.
She was incontinent.
It was a nightmare.
She leaves behind her beautiful 2 year and 8 month old daughter that my parents and I have been caring for, and will raise her. She adored her daughter, and her daughter loved her Mommy very much. They were very simpatico.
Be happy that you had Uncle Charlie for 73 years. You are more fortunate than you know.

A very traumatized brother of a wonderful young deceased Sister, Daughter, and Mother.

P.S.
With my injured fingers, I went into her bedroom-where she passed, and played her favorites: my original-she had me play for so many people and parties, JT-"Secret 'O Life",
I Want To Hold Your Hand-she sang that very well at 5,6, 7 years old, and a family favorite,
Joy To The World. I later went back and sang a capella: "Workin' At The Car Wash Blues", which she always used to ask for last. I can't conceive-yet-that she won't be singing it with me anymore. I will teach her daughter, and if she wants, she can sing it when she gets older.
I wept after I read Mike's letter this morning. Mike's news should serve as a reminder that our time(each day we are alive) is infinitely precious. Let's say the things and do the things we really want to do today, and not put it off for tomorrow.

2 comments:

The Cooking Lady said...

I have never understood the expression, "God has a plan."

Could someone clue me in. I am grateful that Mike is at peace with his sisters passing, but to what end could there be any benefit to take a loving mother from her young children?

I just want someone...anyone to tell me.

Sorry I am ranting here. Mayne I should blog about this.

redgrevillea said...

So true, lovely post.

Eva Cassidy died aged 33 in 1996. She left behind a body of recorded work that astounds listeners with its sheer earthy and transcendent beauty.

Love connects us all.