Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Door County


With a little sadness we will be missing my mother this year at our family reunion at Door County. Mom is still battling her diverticulitis and nausea and we wish her the best. Dad will have to stay home and take care of Mom. They are looking to go to the Mayo Clinic to find out some more answers. My brother Will and my sister Sarah will be there and they are both emailing today saying how we should make it a positive vacation, especially for the grandchildren. Thanks for your positive spirit Will and Sarah.

We will be doing a lot of hiking, sailing, playing baseball, going to plays, concerts, fish boils, etc. The grandchildren are apparently getting more interested in baseball.

My earliest memories of Door County are at The Bay Shore Inn. It is there I had some of my most pleasurable childhood memories. I will never forget winning 10 dollars at BINGO at the lodge when I was nine years old, or my first childhood crush the same summer. There was the fish boil, sailing with Duke and picnics. I will return with my family to Door County 40 years later and my enthusiasm for the place has not diminished :)



BTW....It's good to see the Brewers doing so well. Tonight it is San Diego. Go Brewers!!!

3 comments:

Volly said...

Didn't NPR just have a bunch of people from Door County on "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me?"

Questions About Faith, Etc. said...

That sounds interesting. I love NPR. What time is the show on?

Volly said...

In this neck of the woods, "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" comes on from 1:00 to 2:00 pm on Saturdays. However, it is preceded by a longer show called "What'dya Know?" which may be the show I was thinking of that mentioned Door County. That one starts at 11:30 and runs for 90 minutes. Since there was a great deal of audience chatter and participation I'm inclined to think that was the show. Check your local station for their schedule.