Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Heavenly Day Rejected by Church Leaders


I have a minor criticism of the church my wife and I attend. They are not permitting me to sing "Heavenly Day" at the services because it doesn't have the word GOD in it. This is an example of some of the cognitive narrowing taking place in organized religion. There are a lot of good parts as I have already stated(like sharing the peace and fellowship) but this requirement that the word GOD be in the song seems to be taking things a little too far.



"Heavenly Day" by Patty Griffin
Capo: 6



G Em C D
Oh Heavenly day
G Em C D
All the clouds blew away
G Em C D
Got no trouble today
G Em C D
With anyone
G Em C D
The smile on your face
G Em C D
I live only to see
G Em
It's enough for me baby
C
It's enough for me
D G
Oh heavenly day
C
Heavenly day
G
Heavenly day
Em G
Tomorrow may rain with sorrow
Am G
Here's a little time we can borrow
Am G
Forget all our troubles in these moments so few
Am C D
Oh we can right now the only thing that all that we really have to do
G Em
Is have ourselves a heavenly day
G Em C D
Lay here and watch the trees sway
G Em
Oh can't see no other way
C
No way
D
No way
G C G
Heavenly day heavenly day heavenly day
Em
No one on my shoulder
G
Bringing me fears
Am
Got no clouds up above me
Em
Bringing me tears
C
Got nothing to tell you
G
I got nothing much to say
Am
Only I'm glad to be here with you
C G Em C
On this heavenly heavenly heavenly heavenly heavenly day
D G Em C D
Oh all the troubles gone away
G Em
Oh for awhile anyway
C D
For awhile anyway
G
Heavenly day
Em
Heavenly day
C
Heavenly day
D
Heavenly day




I guess if you want to be a part of church, you have to live by their many rules. Patty sang this song on Ellen recently, maybe this poignant tune is more acceptable to more liberal audiences. Well, the church's music director has said, "No." but how about the minister.? I may have to appeal to the top on this one. Wish me luck.


8 comments:

Jason and Emily said...

thanks for the note!

Mimsy said...

What an insightful blog! I grew up in a very conservative church which I no longer attend and have a lot of unanswered questions as well. Spirituality is very important to me, but so many churches seem bent on squeezing spirituality out of worship and replacing it with bureaucratic dogma. I love how you put it: "cognitive narrowing of organized religion." In any case, this is an incredible, deeply moving song, as most material by Patti Griffin is, and I'm sorry you won't be able to share it with your church.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for coming by my blog. It's a shame the church can't broaden its idea of worship to the point of recognizing songs that might be less traditionally about sacred exeperiences. I wondering if they have a slippery slope fear about making an exception?

Will said...

Wow, those church people are really uptight. Let us know if there are any further developments.

Questions About Faith, Etc. said...

Will,

I am very tempted just to play the song and see what they say. As long as it comes from your heart, that is what matters. Right?

Have you added to your blog yet?

Questions About Faith, Etc. said...

UPDATE:

I have emailed the music director pleading with her to let me sing the song "Heavenly Day." I will let you know what Kris says.

It's a song so beautiful that I had a dream last night that I sang it at my mother's funeral. It was one of those dreams that you woke up crying to.

Anonymous said...

Oh, for pete's sake--this is my third try. Lol.

Okay, what I said was: "Worship" music in church usually focuses on God's attributes and character, not the way we feel.

It sounds like a lovely song, full of appreciation of the beauty of this world. Why not listen to it as part of your worship--on the way to or way home from church?

I found your comment on Relevant Blog, which is a great place to ask questions. I'll try to stop back here again.

Questions About Faith, Etc. said...

UPDATE 2 ON "HEAVENLY DAY"

I have received permission by the music director and minister to sing "Heavenly Day" as prelude music before the service. A good compromise I guess. It pays to be persistent.