Sunday, June 8, 2008

George Eliot Quotations and Kate Wolf


Blessed is the influence of one true, loving human soul on another.


Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact.


I think I should have no other mortal wants, if I could always have plenty of music. It seems to infuse strength into my limbs and ideas into my brain. Life seems to go on without effort, when I am filled with music.


It's never too late to be who you might have been.


One must be poor to know the luxury of giving.


The golden moments in the stream of life rush past us and we see nothing but sand; the angels come to visit us, and we only know them when they are gone.


The strongest principle of growth lies in human choice.


We are all apt to believe what the world believes about us.


What we call our despair is often only the painful eagerness of unfed hope.


There is no feeling, except the extremes of fear and grief, that does not find relief in music.
Most interesting is that George Eliot was actually a woman. It was the pen name of Mary Evans who lived from 1819 to 1880. According to Wikipedia:
Mary Ann (Marian) Evans, better known by her pen name George Eliot, was an English novelist. She was one of the leading writers of the Victorian era. Her novels, largely set in provincial England, are well known for their realism and psychological perspicacity.
She used a male pen name, she said, to ensure that her works were taken seriously. Female authors published freely under their own names, but Eliot wanted to ensure that she was not seen as merely a writer of romances. An additional factor may have been a desire to shield her private life from public scrutiny and to prevent scandals attending her relationship with the married George Henry Lewes.
One more addition tonight....a poem I found on a blog from Minnesota. They are words from the late singer Kate Wolf,
So I'll take the day and run out across the open fields
Where the grass grows high and the shadows fall
Where my eyes can see all the colors in the air
So quiet that the wind whistles in my hair
And takes the rising dust and carries it away-
Kate Wolf, from "Unfinished Life"
BTW......
Kate Wolf (Kathryn Louise Allen) (January 27, 1942 – December 10, 1986) was an American folk singer and songwriter. Though her career was relatively short, she had a significant impact on the folk music scene, and many musicians continue to cover her songs.
Born in San Francisco, California, she started her music career in the band Wildwood Flower before recording ten records as a solo artist. Her songs have since been recorded by artists such as Nanci Griffith and Emmylou Harris (whose recording of "Love Still Remains" was nominated for a Grammy Award in 1999).
She died in 1986, at age 44, after a long battle with leukemia.

4 comments:

S.R. Piccoli said...

Great quotations (I enjoyed them all) in an interesting blog. I’ll come back again. Thanks for your kind words.

All the best
Rob

Christina (BookTasty) said...

Hi! I just got your comment and questions about The Oaks. You'd have to ask them about the music...this is my husband (the guitarist)'s blog http://blog.gregwillson.com/

I do know that you can order they're newest CD from their myspace page:

http://www.myspace.com/wearetheoaks

It is an awesome CD...but then again I am slightly biased. They're actually playing tonight at the Virgin Megastore in Downtown Disney. :)

Patricia Hannigan said...

This is a blog I'll be reading often.

I'm asking myself why it's so difficult to ever find this type of conversation in day to day life?

Miss Divine said...

Hi, Thanks for visiting my blog and thanks for the encouraging comment :-)
You have a nice blog here with a good purpose. I'll sure return here to read more here.
Cheers!